At Farmer, Cline & Campbell, PLLC, we strive to be the premier injury law firm for those who have been hurt or lost loved ones in trucking accidents, including those caused by truck driver fatigue in West Virginia. We have the resources necessary to conduct a thorough investigation and stand up to trucking companies and their insurers when they attempt to minimize or eliminate liability for the actions of fatigued truck drivers. Our lawyers know how to investigate and prove truck driver fatigue, so as to build a powerful case that puts you in the strongest position possible.
Causes Of Truck Driver Fatigue
Very specific provisions of federal law limit how many hours semi-truck drivers may be on the road in a particular time period. Drivers are required to keep logbooks of their hours to show compliance with these laws, but it is an all-too-common practice for drivers to not accurately record their hours or sometimes even falsify their logs to show they are in compliance. The need to stay on the road even when a driver is tired is often brought on by:
- Incentives to stay on the road: Trucking companies often attach financial incentives and bonuses to completing a delivery within the allotted time.
- Trucking company scheduling practices: Trucking companies create tight turnaround times by scheduling deliveries close together. This makes it difficult or impossible for drivers to get enough rest.
- Maintenance issues and other delays: When maintenance, inclement weather or other situations delay a delivery, truckers may attempt to make up for lost time.
- Understaffing: Trucking companies may not hire enough drivers to meet demand, and this puts additional pressure on their existing fleet.
- Use of “stay awake pills”: The use of prescription, over-the-counter or illegal stimulants can lead to a driver staying on the road far longer than he or she should.
Whether these or other forms of trucking company or truck driver negligence have led to a driver fatigue accident, we are here for you. Our assertive trial attorneys provide you with the exceptional representation you need and the personal attention you deserve.