Approximately 40,000 motor vehicle accidents occur in West Virginia every year, according to the Governor’s Highway Safety Program. If you find yourself the victim of one of these accidents, your should take every precaution regarding your health and your ability to obtain compensation via a personal injury claim. Without doing so, you may find it impossible to obtain the funds you need to make as full a recovery as possible and hold negligent parties accountable for the harm they have inflicted.
So what should you do after a car accident? You should:
- Seek medical care right away: If you think you have been injured, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. Whether you go to the emergency room or your primary care physician, be sure to let your doctor know that you have been in a car accident. This ensures that your doctor will carefully assess you for potential injuries that are more commonplace in auto accidents. It will also help to create documentation that can be used to support your personal injury claims.
- Gather as much information as you can at the scene: If possible and safe to do so, take photos of the scene and the vehicles. If there are any witnesses, try to get their names and phone numbers. In many cases, eyewitnesses are crucial to proving a contested liability case. Write down any statements made by the other driver or witnesses, so that you will remember exactly what was said. If an investigating police officer asks you to provide a statement, take your time and try to be as clear and specific as you can. This statement is very important and you should give it the time and attention it deserves.
- Contact the lawyers at Farmer, Cline & Campbell, PLLC, for a free consultation: After you have obtained medical treatment and protected your health, you need to protect your legal rights. By getting in touch with us as soon as possible, we can help you understand all of the options available to you and provide you with the answers you need. We will walk you through what a potential personal injury claim will involve, help you understand what types of compensation you can recover and give you a straightforward assessment regarding your claim’s likelihood of success. If you retain our services, you do not pay an attorney fee unless we successfully obtain compensation for you.
- Follow up on your medical care: Follow all of your doctor’s advice and focus on making as full of a recovery as possible. We will handle the legal aspects of your case so that the recovery process can receive your full attention.
- Do not sign anything from the insurance company: If an insurance company, even your own, presents you with any type of document, have us review it before you sign. Otherwise, you may be signing away vital rights and be unable to obtain all the compensation you need to pay for your medical bills, lost wages and other damages.
Contact Our Motor Vehicle Accident Attorneys
Why hire us? Four good reasons.