The personal injury team at Farmer, Cline & Campbell, PLLC, has served injured people in Morgantown for years. We are proud to be a part of this community and provide the people of Morgantown with legal counsel they can rely on. From our office in Suncrest Towne Centre, we represent people throughout the metro area as they seek full and fair compensation after being involved in motor vehicle accidents.
How To File A Car Accident Claim In Morgantown
Your health comes first, and securing the necessary medical attention should be your first priority after an accident. After you have confirmed your own safety, taking a few simple steps can help you start a record of the accident and begin pursuing compensation from the appropriate insurance company:
- Get the police report. The police report from the scene will likely be a critical piece of evidence in your injury claim. Stay at the scene of the crash if you are able to and it is safe, in order to answer the responding officers’ questions clearly and briefly. Request a copy of the police report.
- Gather evidence. Your attorney will thoroughly investigate the accident and its causes, but you can set yourself up for success by collecting some essential evidence. If possible, try to gather:
- Insurance and contact information from other drivers involved in the accident
- Contact information from any witnesses
- Photographs or video of the accident scene, including damage to your vehicle, marks on the road, the position of the vehicles and injuries to you or your passengers
- Notes of anything you can remember about the accident
- Contact your insurance company. You should promptly report any automobile accident to your insurance company. However, do not make any admission of fault or make guesses about what happened. Stick to the facts. You are not required to speak to anyone else’s insurance company.
- Keep your receipts. Keep copies of all receipts and invoices for expenses related to your accident, including medical bills, car rentals and repairs. Also record how much time you missed from work and any wages you lost because of the accident. These records will help your attorney pursue appropriate compensation.
- Speak with a knowledgeable personal injury attorney. The right lawyer can answer your questions and advise you of your rights. Your attorney will take on the legal burden of your case so you can focus on healing.
How Long Do I Have To File A Claim?
West Virginia law gives injured people (or their survivors in the event of a wrongful death) two years from the date of the accident to take legal action. Two years may sound like a lot of time, but it is an upper limit rather than a realistic suggestion. After an accident, it is best to move as quickly as possible. Evidence often begins to disappear quickly, and it is important to gather as much as possible. Taking swift action also allows your attorney to investigate the accident thoroughly and develop a sound legal strategy.
Do I Need A Lawyer?
In West Virginia, no law prohibits you from bringing a personal injury claim without an attorney. However, the personal injury claims process is complicated. A simple mistake can have big implications for the value of a claim. Just as it is important to work with medical professionals for the best physical outcome, it is wise to work with experienced legal professionals who can protect your rights.
After a car accident, many people are understandably concerned about the cost of medical treatment and car repairs. These expenses can be overwhelming, particularly when a serious injury requires time away from work. As a result, some worry about the cost of hiring an attorney. However, it is important to know that personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis. This means a firm will collect attorney fees only as a percentage of any compensation secured on your behalf.
At Farmer, Cline & Campbell, PLLC, we know the law and we know the tactics that insurance companies use to avoid paying what you deserve. We will explore every possible source of compensation for you and your family.
Hometown Lawyers With Experience In West Virginia Courts
Our attorneys have been practicing in Morgantown and the surrounding communities for decades. This has given us extensive experience winning personal injury claims. We know the local courts – and, just as importantly, they know us. We have earned a strong reputation among our peers, judges, expert witnesses and others who play a role in our clients’ cases. When the opposition faces us in court, they know that we take our clients’ well-being seriously – and we expect them to do the same.
Call For A Free Consultation
During your initial consultation at our office in Morgantown, one of our attorneys will answer all of your questions. You will have a clear understanding of your rights, your options and your next steps. To schedule a consultation, please call 304-881-0637. You may also send us an email using our contact form and expect a prompt response. We fight for people affected by motor vehicle accidents throughout West Virginia, including Morgantown and the surrounding communities.